Shipcarpenter Square is located in the historic district of Lewes, Delaware. The community’s boundaries encompass the area from Third Street and Fourth Street on the east and west, and Burton Street and Park Street on the north and south. A Commons sits at the heart of the community and is accessible to pedestrians from Park Street and from two designated rights of way on the north and south boundaries of the green.
Shipcarpenter Square was conceived by Jack Vessels and David Dunbar, as a Lewes community of historic homes. All the homes you will see in Shipcarpenter Square have been moved from other locations. The first historic homes were moved to the community in the early 1980s and consisted mostly of Sussex County farmhouses constructed from the late 1700’s through the late 1800’s. Some structures were moved to the site more or less intact, and others were dismantled, moved and then reassembled. Later homes include a re-purposed lifesaving station and most recently a real lighthouse.
Typically, structural elements, some interior trim details and the original architectural style were preserved.
Shipcarpenter Square Homeowner's Association - includes bylaws, history, preservation guidelines, etc.