“Bad beach days” can still be fun days at the beach! When you have a houseful of family and friends to entertain, here are a few suggestions:
- The Beach – yes, it’s still fun in the rain, as long as it’s not storming torrentially with thunder or lightening. Think about renting a kayak, big beach floaty mat, or SUP from Quest Kayak!
- The Boardwalk – Rehoboth’s landmark attraction has shopping, dining, arcades, and of course – FUNLAND!
- Boutique shopping in Downtown Lewes and Rehoboth Beach – shops on Second Street and Rehoboth Avenue/side streets have all sorts of local treasures unique to Delaware Beaches and mainstream. Hit Kids' Ketch for a new game or puzzle, or Browseabout Books in Rehoboth for a great new read for the whole family!
- The Outlets – you can’t miss them! Route 1 offers three different outlet shopping centers with brands to please even the trendiest shoppers.
- Lefty’s Alley & Eats – new this year, Lefty’s was built for rainy beach days! Bowling, laser tag, arcade, and an award-winning restaurant/bar will keep everyone busy for awhile!
- Libraries! The brand new, expanded Lewes Library has programs scheduled all summer long and is a cool retreat from rain or heat. The Rehoboth Library is in the heart of Rehoboth Avenue and is a great place to ‘check out’ as well!
- Redbox – Most rentals have DVD players, or you can watch on your laptop: Both the Lewes and Rehoboth Walgreens stores have Redbox kiosks where you can pick up very recently released movies.
- Seaside Nature Center at Cape Henlopen State Park – newly renovated for this summer, the Seaside Nature Center offers a great indoor and educational escape! Learn about the state park and its inhabitants, then take a hike around the park in any weather.
- The Lewes History Museum (in the former Library space) and the ever-present, landmark Zwaanendael Museum offer cultural diversions, rain or shine!
Of course, there are a ton of restaurants (see our list of new ones) to keep you busy - and keep your strength up - when you have houseguests in the rain!