Summer by Numbers
Happy Labor Day Weekend!
Labor Day Weekend is here! Congratulations to all of our local businesses and employees for hosting another great summer at the beach. Back-to-school time is a transitional time all around. Here at the beach, it also means the end of many extra summer employees (as college students leave for the semester) and a time to transition from seasonal to year-round teams. Please bear with our local restaurants and retail businesses this weekend!
Of course, the main focus on Labor Day is appreciation and recognition for the hard work each of us does all year. Hopefully many visitors and locals alike are enjoying a well-deserved day off on Monday!
So, while you have extra time to read The Cape Gazette, here’s a quick real estate snapshot of the summer.
(All information taken as of August 30, 2013 from InnoVia/Sussex County Multiple Lisiting Service)
As of today (August 30, 2013):
- In Sussex County overall, there are 3,802 active residential real estate listings (not including lots/land/commercial)
- In Lewes and Rehoboth: 610 active listings
- From Dewey to Fenwick: 1,345 active listings
Between June 1 and August 30 – Summer 2013:
- Sussex County REALTORS sold 1,050 residential properties
- In the Lewes and Rehoboth area during this time frame, 152 residential properties sold and 87 are under contract (not yet closed/settled)
- In the Dewey/Bethany/Fenwick area, 182 residential properties sold and 164 are under contract
Just a note to keep in mind: the “sold” properties are those that actually closed/settled after June 1; however, they could have been considered “under contract” before summer. Likewise, many of the properties that went under contract this summer may not close/settle until September or later in the fall.
Overall, August has been a busy month for everyone at the beach – and Labor Day definitely doesn’t mean the end of beach time. If you are a seasonal visitor to Delaware’s Beaches, don’t forget that “summer” around here is as long as the weather holds, which can be through Christmas and beyond. Look for all of our great fall events – from Sea Witch and Punkin Chunkin to the Jazz and Film Festivals – and plan a fall trip, too!
And if you are a local resident, and even a business owner or local employee, enjoy this weekend and the reward of reaching September: (arguably) the most wonderful time of the year at the beach!